Thursday, May 03, 2007

Almost Random Notes, Part 11


I am feeling a bit disoriented this morning, therefore these almost random notes:

1. Like some of the other bloggers I read, I wasn't entirely sorry to see NatPoMo end. Either too much weirdness is going on during the month (it reminds me of Festivus) or too little, in which case I feel left out. Writing a poem-a-day? I can't work like that. And I dislike the inevitable articles and manifestos: "National Poetry Month: Threat or Menace?" or "Whither Poetry?"

Why doesn't anyone write an article like: "Breathing: Do We Really Need to Inhale?"

2. A group of us did manage to get a panel proposal together and submitted for the AWP Conference in New York. I will say more if the proposal gets accepted. I've never had any luck with these; something I also shouldn't talk about, since if word gets around I will be regarded as a Jonah and never asked to be on a panel again.

I am so glad I can swim.

I am so glad that everyone gets four strikes in baseball.

3. I do have some good writing news--I'm a finalist in a contest--but I can't say anything much about that, either. I'll let you know in a month or-so. What I am happy about is that these are quite different poems for me and I entered them to test the waters; to see if they might float.

It is a bit of confidence as I look at the summer writing season.

4. Oh! I have to read term papers over the weekend and get my grades in!

5. In the good-news-I-CAN-tell-you department, our oldest, Elliot (age 26) has a job this summer cooking at a nice resort near Petoskey, and (even better news) has been accepted into the Culinary Arts program at Johnson & Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island. He begins classes in September.

We are so proud of him.

6. More good news: our Hannah has been named Editor-in-Chief of INPRINT,* the undergraduate student newspaper of Eugene Lang College and the New School University. She also has an internship this summer at the United Nations.

She will be a senior in the fall.

Hannah rocks.

________________________

*NOTE: There is a link to the online version of INPRINT in my blog roll.

6 Comments:

Blogger Talia said...

Congratulations to Hannah and Elliot. Did you name him after T.S.? John Gallaher said he did his son.

7:12 AM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Talia:

Actually, we did! We decided to go with two "l's" though.

Carlos (my 5 year-old) is named after Carlos Fuentes, because I was reading "The Old Gringo" while Marcia was pregnant.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Penultimatina said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you (which will interfere with grading this enormous stack of papers...which is fine with me).

Happy almost end of term!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Talia said...

I named my cat "Pluto" after the cat in Edgar Allen Poe's "The Black Cat." My Pluto is much nicer, though. Also, my daughter is named Hadley, after Hemingway's first wife. I do love Hemingway, but mostly I just liked the name.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Ivy said...

Congratulations on being named a finalist, Greg! :-)

8:16 AM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Hey:

Thank you all.

We have a cat named Raymond (after Raymond Carver), a cat named Baxter (after Charlie Baxter) a dog named Russell (after Russell Chatham) a dog named Eddie (after Edgar Lee Masters) and a dog named
Pagan (after Pagan Kennedy).

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home