Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A Moment with Stephen Mitchell

Though most well-known as a tanslator of Rilke, The Book of Job, The Tao Te Ching, and other texts, Stephen Mitchell is also a poet in his own right--and a very good one.

Here's a small poem of his that is something to think about on a busy day. I understand that Parables and Portraits is out of print, or at least, difficult to find. A used copy is worth seeking out.



FRANCIS

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
who realize that they have no more
than what is their own. They stand
tiptoe in the bright kingdom
of the moment, like children looking
down from the bedroom window,
waving hello, goodbye.

-Stephen Mitchell,
Parables and Portraits (HarperPerennial, 1991)

2 Comments:

Blogger Keith Woodruff said...

Very nice, Greg.

The "Blessed are the poor in spirit, who realize that they have no more than what is their own" reminds me of this little lovely.


The Unforeseen

Lord never grant me what I ask for.
The unforeseen delights me, what comes down
from your fair stairs; let life
deal out before me all at once the cards

against which I must play. I want the shock
of going silently along my dark street,
feeling that I am tapped upon the shoulder,
turning about, and seeing the face of adventure.

I do not want to know where and how
I shall meet death. Caught unaware,
may my soul learn at the turn of a corner
that one step back it stilled lived.


By Conrado Nale Roxlo (Argentina, 1898 -?)

10:54 AM  
Blogger Hannah Khiza Pedroso said...

Can you give the meaning of the poem. What the author wants us to know? please! answer it.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home