Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year's Day--Early Morning

I hope you revelers enjoyed last night. I was asleep before 10 P.M., but I am a famously boring person.

Since reading his Nobel Prize Lecture in The New Yorker (December 25, 2006 & January 1, 2007) I've been on an Oran Pamuk mission. I'm currently reading his memoir Istanbul: Memories and the City (Knopf, 2006). It is very good.

I am also working on a poem about hummingbirds.

Here's a poem that I came across last night from Fernando Pessoa's A Little Larger than the Entire Universe: Selected Poems, (Penguin Classics, 2006). An odd note on which to begin this year's entries, but something about the poem spoke to the closing year and what is to come:


ENGLISH SONG

I broke with the sun and stars. I let the world go.
I went far and deep with the knapsack of things I know.
I made the journey, bought the useless, found the indefinite,
And my heart is the same as it was: a sky and a desert.
I failed in what I was, in what I wanted, in what I
discovered.
I've no soul left for light to arouse or darkness to smother.
I'm nothing but nausea, nothing but reverie, nothing but
longing.
I'm something very far removed, and I keep going
Just because my I feels cozy and profoundly real,
Stuck like a wad of spit to one of the world's wheels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home