Sunday, December 31, 2006

The End of the Year

This has been a strange and difficult year. A good one, too. I am not yet sure what to make of it––I might sit down before dark and scratch together a list of what I am grateful for, perhaps a few resolutions. Meanwhile, gray sky and a cold rain. This seems the right sort of weather.

Starting this blog was one of my better decisions; I enjoy writing it even if few are reading. For those who are, my sincere thanks and best wishes for the coming year.

Here's an excerpt from a letter dated December 31, 1869* from George Sand to Gustave Flaubert:

"All's well here, and everyone adores everyone else. It's the end of the year. We send you your share of the seasonal kisses."



–––––––––––––––––––––––––
*From: The Correspondence of Gustave Flaubert & George Sand (The Harvill Press, 1999)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home