Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Writing Life

I'm up early, walking the dogs in the dark and struggling through several different versions of a poem. The latest is on my laptop, but my eyes focus so poorly in the morning, I finally switched to the desktop, with its larger screen. It does feel good to get lost in the work again; to get away from whining, side issues and my own ego.

The sky is starless and the weather is changing--I can tell by the wind in the trees.

One of my favorite books is The Writing Life by Annie Dillard (Harper Perennial, 1989). Every MFA program should give a class on "The Spiritual Life of the Writer" and use Dillard's book as a text. She writes, "After Michelangelo died, someone found in his studio a piece of paper on which he had written a note to his apprentice, in the handwriting of his old age: 'Draw Antonio, draw, Antonio, draw and do not waste time.'"