Thursday, November 16, 2006

Sanding the Last Poem

I sent an e-mail to Enid Shomer, who edits the University of Arkansas Press Poetry Series, and asked if she wanted a final look at my manuscript before I send it to Arkansas. Enid lives in Florida, the Press is in...well, you know where the Press is. I sent along a revision of the title poem "Figured Dark" which isn't a revision at all--it's a complete rewrite I've been working on.

Enid does have some ideas about the poem, so we are e-mailing back and forth to set up a time to talk by telephone. After that, away with the manuscript!

Enid Shomer is quite a brilliant editor and has been extremely generous with her time and attention. She is also a wonderful poet. Her books Black Drum: Poems (University of Arkansas Press, 1997) and Stars at Noon: Poems From the Life of Jacqueline Cochran (University of Arkansas Press, 2001) are terrific. I'm looking forward to her new short fiction collection, Tourist Season: Stories (Random House, March 27, 2007). She was doing some final work on that book as she was editing mine.

It's been a lot of fun to work with her.

The Big Game is Saturday. If you don't know which game I'm talking about then you aren't from the Midwest. My prediction: Michigan 28 - Ohio State 20. No one can cover Mario Manningham and I don't think Ohio State can stop Mike Hart.

GO BLUE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home