Monday, November 06, 2006

Almost Random Notes

Over the weekend I read Twilight by Henry Grunwald (Alfred A. Knopf, 1999) and Life Itself! by Elaine Dundy (Virago Books, 2002). Grunwald was formerly the editor in chief of Time Inc. publications and also served as American ambassador to Austria. Twilight concerns Grunwald's ongoing struggle with macular degeneration, the debilitating eye disease that is the leading cause of blindness in adults over the age of 55. Life Itself! is novelist Dundy's autobiography, which tells the tale (among many others) of her married life with the theatre critic Kenneth Tynan. Neither book is generally available. To find them, you'll need either a good book dealer (I have one, thank God) or a good public library. Both books are worth searching for.

I became interested in Dundy through an article on macular degeneration she wrote for the Manchester Guardian. That article is available on the web; were I more clever, I could provide the URL for you. Because I am not, just put "Elaine Dundy" and "macular degeneration" in on Google and you should be able to find it.

My interest in macular degeneration? Well, "Keep coming back" as the twelve-steppers say. You'll find out soon enough.

Tomorrow is Election Day. Be sure to do your civic duty!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home